Spiedini Alle Olive (Olive Skewers)
Written By Carmel Ruggeri
Twitter ID @carmR
So off I went to start thinking about what to make and as the days went by I realized that this was WAY harder than I had originally thought.
Italians aren’t renowned for doing things FAST… other than being loud, fast, hand waving talkers.
We take our time in the kitchen as we do in the bedroom. But let’s not get into that right now as this is a discussion about food and not about our OTHER passions.
I chatted with Mamma about her recipe book and realized a bit of this and a handful of that wasn’t going to cut it. So finally I thought, what resembles me? What can I make that is a tribute to my Italian heritage?
What’s vibrant, fun & tasty?
10 minutes isn’t enough time for my favorite food ~ Pizza but it is enough time for one of my favorite antipasti dishes which just happens to be Red, White & Green!
And the best part is because this dish doesn’t take up too much time to prepare, I can spend the rest of the afternoon on my other favorite past time…
My Twitter duties!
SPIEDINI ALLE OLIVE ~ Olive Skewers
12 Stuffed Olives ~ I picked up Green Olives from the Deli stuffed with Sun dried Tomatoes
12 Cherry Tomatoes
12 Small Bocconcini
Handful of Rocket ~ from My Papas Garden & I got the look when I picked it, as I always do
200grams of Breadcrumbs ~ well I didn’t really measure it but it was about you know-“this much”
Enough Olive Oil to shallow fry in a small frying pan
Salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep small pan over high heat
- Beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the olives in the egg mixture & roll through the breadcrumbs. Repeat this process until olives are all covered.
- Cook the olives in the hot oil until golden brown, should only take a minute. Drain on paper towels.
- Place the ingredients on the skewer ~ Cherry tomato, rocket, olive, rocket, bocconcini, rocket & repeat
- Place on serving dish & drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over it & Serve