Olio Cafe Chocolate Chewy Biscuits
I first tried this little chocolate chewy biscuits treat whilst partaking in my first Kopi Luwak Experince at the Olio Cafe and Bar in Sydney’s St. Leonard’s. Kopi luwak is heralded as the world’s rarest and most expensive coffee and passionate coffee provedors Nicholas Aspros of Olio and Sam Gabrielian of Caffe Di Gabriel boutique coffee roasters have made it their mission to source the best and rarest coffee beans from the around the world and make them accessible to all.
Olios Kopi Luwak experience consists of an espresso or picillo of the famed brew served alongside a lime and ginger soda and these gorgeous little chocolate chewy biscuits flavoured with chocolate, ginger and almonds to complete the coffee journey.
I was so impressed with these little nuggets of chocolate chewy biscuits goodness that I begged Nicholas to share the recipe with me, which he more than happily agreed to do so. The perfect coffee accompaniment.
Olio Chocolate Chewy Biscuit
1 large free range egg
50g vanilla sugar
100g bittersweet chocolate
300g butter ~ cut into cubes
100g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp grated ginger
40g slivered almonds ~ chopped
100g icing sugar
- Into a large mixing bowl or with a cake mixer mix together the egg and sugar until the chocolate chewy biscuits mix is well combined and silky.
- In a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water melt together the chocolate and butter and stir to combine evenly.
- Cool slightly before incorporating the chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar and mix together well.
- Using a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and add to the wet ingredients, stirring carefully to combine.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and allow the mixture to rest in the fridge for 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven on Bake at 170C.
- If making small petite four style biscuits, form the chilled mixture into 3cm round balls and dust generously with icing sugar by rolling the balls through a bowl of icing sugar.
- Place the balls on a baking paper lined cookie tray and bake in the oven for 9 mins.
- Watch the cooking time carefully as the balls should be soft and chewy when cooked. Over-baking will result in crunchy biscuits which is not ideal for this style of cookie.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chocolate chewy biscuits to cool on a wire rack before storing for 3-4 days in an airtight container.